Establishing an R&D Department at Wojskowe Zakłady Lotnicze Nr 1 S.A. in order to introduce innovative solutions in the Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) area.
The direct objective of the project is to increase the R&D activity, primarily in the area of aerospace industry and NDT. In the result of implementation of the project the company will establish an R&D department within its structure, named the Non-Destructive Testing Centre of WZL-1 S.A.
Detailed Project Goals:
- To develop new test methods related to extension of service life for helicopters and their components, using NDT;
- To establish a dedicated NDT laboratory;
- To launch and carry out industrial tests and R&D efforts aimed at overhaul of helicopter parts and assemblies;
- To launch a diagnostic IT system for the needs of the NDT.
This project will be completely implemented by Wojskowe Zakłady Lotnicze nr 1 S.A. and it is broken down into two sub-projects:
Sub-Project 1 – Making the existing infrastructure suitable for the R&D centre to be established.
Sub-Project 2 – Purchase of test and measuring devices for the NDT Lab, to be used for UT, RT and MT testing.
The primary objective of the project is to establish the R&D the base products of which will be used to implement innovative solutions in WZL1’s business including the one aimed at establishing our in-house Non-Destructive Testing R&D Centre
Within the project, WZL 1 plans to establish the NDT Lab accredited by the National NDT Commission. Purchases of both fixed and intangible assets planned within the project refer to a modification of the existing laboratory to make it suitable for rendering of new services not provided insofar by the WZL 1, i.e. the UT and RT non-destructive testing. Other services offered by the newly established Centre will be provided using the company’s existing resources, integrated with the new equipment.
Establishing the NDT Lab will enable conducting planned R&D efforts including:
- Testing and analyses of parts cracking in order to detect discontinuities early and to prevent malfunctions of other parts of the same type operated in identical or similar conditions, resulting from identification of crack occurrence causes;
- Research on an impact of alloy additives and treatment on electromagnetic properties;
- Modelling and analyse of modernised helicopter parts and structure;
- Launch of new repair technologies and diagnostic systems;
- Development of a technology of parts condition assessment aimed at extension of parts service life by means of NDT use;
- Carrying out research projects in cooperation with scientific institutes.
Contribution of the European Union’s funds to the project: PLN 1,021,863.50.